El 6to Estado - En Espanol

Monday, February 21, 2005

My IMDB review of Captain Zoom in Outer Space

I never got to review movies when I was a reporter ... but I love them! Movies are a true narcotic to me. I remember when a friend in graduate school was going somewhere for the entire weekend and he said I could borrow his Sony Betamax player to watch movies. I went to the local video store, rented 12 movies -- (none of them adult btw, in case you're wondering) -- and watched them back to back until I was catatonic! I was drained, hung over, bleary-eyed and wasted. None of it was alcohol or drug induced: I'd gone on a Hollywood bender mainlining Bogie and Bacall et al. I loved it!

Some movies made for the small screen never made it to video. Such is the case of "The Adventures of Captain Zoom in Outer Space." I caught this on cable, loved it, they re-ran the movie and I taped it on VHS. Good thing, because you can't find this movie on VHS much less DVD. This isn't the best movie made, but it's better than some I've seen on video "Anita: Dances of Vice" being one.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112292/usercomments

A fine, funny movie, 14 July 2004
10 Stars out of 10
Author: NEWS4A2 from Baton Rouge, LA

This was a fine, funny, tongue-in-cheek spoof of early television space shows. Its only drawback is that this movie never made it to serialization or video/DVD to be enjoyed by others.

This movie pilot debuted before "Galaxy Quest" but is the same premise. A distant planet is in trouble. A young scientist picks up TV video signals from Earth and sees stage-managed heroic exploits of Captain Zoom on a children's TV show. He believes the heroics to be real. The young scientist snags the egotistical actor with some kind of space transport tractor beam, and beams the actor who was playing Captain Zoom to the besieged planet to aid its inhabitants.

This movie is light-hearted and features some good performances by the sexy and funny Gia Carides as Vesper, Dan Riordan in the title role, Nichelle Nichols (Lt. Uhura of Star Trek fame)as Sagan and Ron Perlman as Lord Vox aka "The Bad Guy."

I'm sorry MCA didn't put more money into promoting this film. It had an unpolished gem on its hands. But perhaps, with thinking like that, it's the reason MCA is now owned by Universal, and not the other way around.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home